Home Wiki Blog Forum GEXF.net

Gephi forums

Community support

Same edge multiple times but with different attributes

Get help with your data

Same edge multiple times but with different attributes

Postby lukowitz » 26 Aug 2013 14:34

Hi everyone,

I am having a little issue with edges I would like to use. As far as I can see, Gephi doesn't allow the same edge to be present more than once. Even if the edge has different attributes.
So assuming I have three nodes (person A, B, and C) which are connected either by projects or friendship. What I would like to do is using distinguishable edges based on the type of connection attribute they have.

For example A and B are connected by friendship and work together on a project. C is also part of this project but not friend with either A or B. The following edges I want to define:
A - B - Friends
A - B - Project
A - C - Project
C - B - Project

By filtering I could than visualize either friendship connections or project connections or both.
However, if I import the edges, Gephi only shows one edge "A - B" with a weight of 2. It seems impossible to have the edge "A - B" multiple times but with different attributes.

Can someone help?

Thanks.
Tobias
lukowitz

Re: Same edge multiple times but with different attributes

Postby pegerp » 29 Aug 2013 19:23

Hi Tobias.

Unfortunately Gephi currently does not support multiple edges. There aren't any good workarounds either. Requests to support multiple edges between nodes have been asked before. I'm sure some future version of Gephi will support multiple edges - but not now.

One idea that comes to mind is that you could put the data in MySQL or Neo4j database. Then in Gephi you can import a database using a query that does not involve multiple edges between nodes.

Seinecle has recommended some alternative software to use if Gephi's features are too limited for your use case: viewtopic.php?p=8132#p8132
pegerp

Re: Same edge multiple times but with different attributes

Postby lukowitz » 30 Aug 2013 15:38

Thanks pegerp!
In the meantime I also found a workaround. I just added a column for each attribute with boolean values. So I have an attribute "Friend" and an attribute "Process".
Thus the edge A - B has values 1 and 1
the edge A - C values 0 and 1
same for edge C - B
Within Gephi the filter then allows showing just friends or processes.

It's a little bit more effort for building the database, especially if you want to use multiple databases. This way you have to merge the databases every time before you import the data.
But for the moment it works.
Would be great to have the "multiple-edge-feature" in current versions.

Best, Tobias
lukowitz

Return to Data Import / Export