Home Wiki Blog Forum GEXF.net

Gephi forums

Community support

geospatial analysis

Once it's running

geospatial analysis

Postby baxterpm » 14 Apr 2014 16:30

Hi all,

First time poster, so please figure not adhering to any forum norms.

I am trying to conduct a geospatial network analysis of facilities spread out across a country. N=35 for each country with interaction among all facilities. I have been able to load the data with lat/long and have run a few layouts on the points (GeoLayout, Map Overlay). But, on the statistics side, I am a bit disappointed. Perhaps I am missing it, but what I was hoping to achieve was some measure of proximity and tightness of the network that would use each facilities distance from the other as the unit of analysis for edges. It does not appear to be achieving that in any of the statistics. Perhaps I am missing a step or am overestimating ability of Gephi. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!
baxterpm

Re: geospatial analysis

Postby francis_flavin » 15 Apr 2014 05:05

Hi Baxterpm,

I don't believe that the Geo Layout plug-in provides the metrics you want. My guess, though, is that you could generate many of the metrics you want using a nodes table and an edges table together with some simple scripts or queries. That said, I can imagine that some of your desired metrics would be a useful addition to Gephi. Maybe you could write up some specifications for geospatial network analysis, post them here on the forum, and see if someone would write a plug-in that would provide that functionality.

Good luck. I'd be interested to learn more about what you have in mind and it would be great if someone wrote a plug-in.

Francis
francis_flavin

Re: geospatial analysis

Postby francis_flavin » 15 Apr 2014 05:05

Hi Baxterpm,

I don't believe that the Geo Layout plug-in provides the metrics you want. My guess, though, is that you could generate many of the metrics you want using a nodes table and an edges table together with some simple scripts or queries. That said, I can imagine that some of your desired metrics would be a useful addition to Gephi. Maybe you could write up some specifications for geospatial network analysis, post them here on the forum, and see if someone would write a plug-in that would provide that functionality.

Good luck. I'd be interested to learn more about what you have in mind and it would be great if someone wrote a plug-in.

Francis
francis_flavin

Return to How-To and Troubleshooting